I watched the video online regarding student writing and how to encourage positive peer review. This segment was very helpful and full of great ideas that I plan to incorporate into my classroom. The first teacher incorporated peer reviewing in groups of four with an adult who served as the facilitator and reporter. This helped the students stay on track. The method they followed used three steps. First students identify in the piece of writing what is working and how it is effective. It is important to start with positive feedback in order for the student to feel comfortable with being vulnerable in their writing and sharing it with their peers. Second the readers ask the author questions about the writing. It is important to ask questions, rather than just saying "I don't get it." With that type of response, it is easy for the author to feel trapped and not have the ability to move forward. The final step is where the author asks readers questions about the writing, maybe targeting areas they had trouble writing.
All the teachers made a point of using your own writing as an example and letting students practice giving proper feedback through your work. Modeling is very important.
Another method that I found very useful was called P.A.T.S. Praise; ask a question (clarify or expand); tell what stuck in your mind; suggest. I like this method as well because it tells the reviewer what needs to be addressed. I like seeing the teacher using their own pieces of writing, not as exemplars, but giving students the opportunity to review that work and practice before they begin working on their peers writing.
No comments:
Post a Comment