Monday, July 25, 2011

# 9 The Kids Are All Right


Welch, Diana; Welch, Liz. The Kids Are All Right. United States: Harmony Books, 2009.

Annotation: There are two sides to every story; in this case there are four sides. The Welch children recall their childhood growing up, the good, the bad and the ugly. They take you on this ride of emotions with them, and it is irresistible to not feel what they feel. Everyone has a different story, and it was important for these siblings to each have their own chance to tell what they remembered from their hard lives growing up.

Justification for Nomination: This memoir is deep. It made me relive feelings from my childhood, and feelings I felt that were so deep and unavoidable when my mom passed away. This book made me cry and it made me laugh. When I was reading it, it made me think of my life, and revisit some things that happened with my brothers when I was younger, and made me revaluate situations that I encountered as a young adult, now as an adult. This memoir looks at four children and how they grew up. The best part of this book, is that everything is looked upon by each of the four children, and told from their perspective; like they all talk about remembering when their father passed away and how each of them dealt with such a loss and how they all tried to get through. This was so touching to me, because I related to it on such a deep level. There are four different narrators, and they each have a different style of telling their version. Having this dynamic group makes this memoir even more relatable and emotional, because I was able to identify with at least one of the narrators, and their outlook on their life and happenings growing up.

I would absolutely recommend this, like I said, it is very deep and emotional, so be ready to be able to objectively look at your childhood, and a life and relationships with your siblings.

Genre Category: Memoir, coming of age, ALEX

No comments:

Post a Comment