Saturday, June 18, 2011

#4 John Lennon: All I Want is the Truth


Partridge, Elizabeth. John Lennon: All I Want is the Truth. New York, NY: Penguin Group, 2005.

Annotation: "I'm not the Beatles, I'm me." John Lennon, a star of the Beatles, was born the night of a air raid during World World II in Liverpool, England. All through his adolescent years he knew he was different, and he was; music found him and his life would never be the same. All I Want is the Truth, is Lennon's story from adolescence to adulthood, life of rock and roll, and learning who he is: "I want people to love me, I want to be loved."

Justification for Nomination: Partridge explores John Lennon on levels that have never been seen before. She shows his life throughout the text, but includes a lot of pictures of John and the other Beatles throughout their lives. The reason I nominate this book, is because it is truthful, and show Lennon as he actually was, a mischievous child that was looking for something to keep him busy, until he found rock and roll. Partridge tells how Lennon always knew he was different and a lot of young adults feel that way, but have a hard time finding an outlet for their difference.
It is interesting to see rock stars, and famous people as themselves, and the truth about their lives. As young adults, or even adults, we envision rock stars as God-like people, we see them up on a pedestal, as un-human. BIographies, especially this one of Lennon, shows that he was just a "regular" person that found a passion and followed it, and would refused to give up. Sometimes we forget that rock stars are normal people and some came from the same environments we did.

I recommend this book because it's truth and honest. It shows that John Lennon from the Beatles, was just like you and me.

Genre Category: Biography, Autobiography, Memoir

No comments:

Post a Comment